Job-seekers in Canada are often required to submit background checks. Employers request background checks to protect the company and the community involved from various potential risks. For instance, some jobs place individuals in regular contact with vulnerable persons, like school workers with children. Other individuals in positions of power, like police officers with citizens. Therefore, companies may occasionally be mandated by law to perform background checks on both current employees and potential new hires.
Industries that require record checks
Some industries are more likely to require background checks for employees. Here’s a list of sectors that need background checks:
- Healthcare such as nurses, doctors
- Childcare and Education such as daycare workers, school staff, drivers
- Students in programs like nursing, education and security
- Regulated jobs like realtors, lawyers
- Tradespeople such as construction workers, technicians, installers
- Financial Services such as financial advisors, credit experts
- Government Workers such as police officers, councillors, mayors
- Information and Technology such as systems managers, computer analysts
- Retail Stores such as sales agents, budtenders (Cannabis stores), supervisors, managers
If you’re someone who is looking for a job, take the initiative to present a background check to get hired with assurance and ease. How to get a criminal background check in Canada? There are 4 ways to request a criminal record check in Canada. Check our previous article for more info.